Tuesday 29 December 2015

recipe: really yummy lactation cookies



Lactation cookies. Yes, lactation cookies are a real thing. And all cookie lovers who lactate rejoice.

One of the greatest things to happen to me this time around is being able to nurse my son (you can read about my nursing struggles with my firstborn here). Unfortunately, I don't have amazing supply so I've had to resort to all the crazy supplements and pumping sessions to keep the milk flowing. But these lactation cookies are by far the most enjoyable way to boost my supply. And yes, I do believe they work. But even more wonderful than that is that they really are yummy!

So how do lactation cookies work? Well, they use "galactagogues" (yes, a real word) that women have been swearing by for decades -- namely, brewer's yeast, oats, and flax -- to boost supply. 

Now these cookies do come with a warning: they are not low fat and they will not help with your post-baby weight loss. sorry. But they are yummy and when it's 3 am and you have a ravenous newborn AND you've got the nursing munchies, the calories simply don't matter.

Ingredients:

3 cups rolled oats
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
6 tablespoons brewer's yeast (*this is a crucial ingredient! don't skip it! you can find brewer's yeast at your local Bulk Barn)
3 tablespoons ground flaxseed
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoons salt

3/4 cup butter
5 tablespoons coconut oil
1 1/2 cups white sugar
2 eggs
1/4 cup peanut butter

1 1/2 cups chocolate chips

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine the first 7 ingredients in a large bowl. In a separate bowl (I use my stand mixer) combine the butter and oil and then add the sugar, beating until fluffy. Follow with the eggs and peanut butter until well combined. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and then add the chocolate chips.

Scoop onto baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes (don't overdo these unless you like them crunchy) or until done.

I modified this recipe from here.

Enjoy!

To yummy galactagogues,
 Dion

<

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...