Monday 7 December 2015

Five Tips for VBAC Success


Recently I shared my VBAC success story on the blog with the hopes of encouraging any mamas planning to VBAC one day. I thought it would be helpful to share five tips for VBAC success with you brave ladies.


1 (a) - Research, Research, Research:


Knowledge is power, right? VBACs are not without risks and some moms are better candidates than others. You will get a sense from your research and conversations with your doctor whether you are a good candidate. The 1 in 200 risk of uterine rupture was what freaked me out the most about having a VBAC; however, when I did my research I learned that EVERY delivery has its risks, VBAC or not. Some of these complications are about as likely to occur as  a uterine rupture, and yet your doctor may not even mention these risks! For me, the research took some of the fear out of the process.


1 (b) - Don’t research too much:


Ok, so now I am confusing you!! Yes, do your research BUT dr Google can be a scary place. Don’t read and ruminate on the one in a million chance of something happening to you or your baby. Otherwise you’ll just go ahead and book a c-section, which has its own fair share of “one in a million” risks!


2 - Choose your medical provider wisely:


Although VBACs are considered safe, not all providers are as comfortable or experienced with performing VBACs as others. I’m not sure it really matters whether you choose an OBGYN, family doctor or a midwife, what matters most is that your caregiver understands your wishes and is on board. Personally I knew I wanted a medicated birth (I love me some [legal] drugs!) and with some of my higher risk history the OBGYN seemed like the best call. Plus, I am of the belief that if I did end up needing an emergency c-section, I didn’t want to have to switch care providers in the middle of my delivery. OBGYNs have gotten a bit of a bad rap since everyone watched “The Business of Being Born” on Netflix, and while I know that some doctors are more eager to “cut”, you can find OBGYNs who are truly motivated by what is best for mom and baby, and will not perform c-sections unless they find it truly medically necessary.


If the doctor you are referred to isn’t in support or doesn’t make you feel comfortable, get another referral. You want a care provider who you trust implicitly.


3 - Find a VBAC mama tribe:


There’s nothing more encouraging to a mom hoping to VBAC than a mom who has done it. Find friends, acquaintances, anybody who has VBAC’d and ask them to tell you their story. Read my story and share it with others. These stories will pierce through the times of doubt that you will feel along the way.


4 - Think positively:


Hearing positive stories of others’ VBACs are just part of the mental game you need to play when planning a VBAC. You need to train your mind and your heart to think and feel positively towards your delivery -- this is hard because something negative happened for you to need to VBAC in the first place! If you read my VBAC story you know that I devoted a lot of mental and emotional energy to believing that my VBAC would happen. For me, that looked like prayer and reading my Bible. I know that may not be everyone’s thing, but it's hard to deny the power these acts had in my situation. For you, it might mean planning and visualizing your VBAC and avoiding negative thinking patterns (such as,“I’ll try for a vbac but it’ll probably end in a c-section”). Also, surround yourself with positive people, cheering you on toward your goal. I think my husband wanted me to VBAC as much, if not more, than I did. Whenever I felt doubt and fear, he stayed positive, assuring me that a VBAC was possible.


5 - Take care of yourself:


I always felt my VBAC would happen regardless of what I did physically to prepare, so I never went to chiro or physio and I certainly wasn’t doing hundreds of cat-cows a night to ensure baby was in the right position. However, lots of women swear by those to get baby right where you need it to be! And I suppose it couldn’t hurt. But taking care of yourself during your pregnancy is crucial, to ensure you will be physically well to deliver. Giving birth is HARD physically, and fortunately I was in pretty good shape prior to getting pregnant, so I really did have a lot of stamina when it came time to push (the drugs didn’t hurt either!). There isn’t much you can control during your delivery, but you can set yourself up for success by eating healthy, keeping active and resting when possible (which is nearly impossible with a toddler…).


Good luck on your VBACs mamas. I’d love to hear your tips and success stories too!


To beautiful babies and beautiful births,

Dion

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...