Monday 26 January 2015

The Valentine's Tree

OK -- so I’m pretty sure people think I’m certifiably crazy for putting up a Valentine’s tree! When I told some friends and family about my plan, there was a joke or two thrown around...like, what’s next Dion? A St. Patrick’s day tree? An Easter tree? Hahah. My response: don’t. tempt. me.


I guess I just feel that life is too short not to celebrate each holiday to its fullest AND I’ve never been a big fan of Valentine’s haters. You know, those who complain about how Valentine’s day was invented by card companies and that if you really love someone you should demonstrate it every day...blah. blah. blah. I just really don’t see the fault in setting aside a special day to press pause on life’s crazy treadmill and do something extra loving for your loved ones!


So, when I heard that my friend Devon put up a Valentine’s tree each year, I knew I was going to do the same one year--and this year was my year people.


It looks pretty cute, don’t ya think!?



So how’d I do it?  I kept an eye out during the Christmas season for heart ornaments, and found packages of five at Target (RIP Canadian Target!) for super cheap--I stocked up on these. Pier 1 is also a great place to look for Valentine’s decorations, but they are a little pricey, so I bought the cheapest ornaments I could find there and will start looking for deals closer to Feb. 14. And fortunately, the beautiful grey mercury glass heart ornaments I already had on my Christmas tree! I don’t think I spent more than $30 putting this tree together! Not bad if I must say so myself.


Here’s a summary of where I bought everything in this photo:
Heart ornaments & small bulbs - Target
Grey Mercury Glass Heart ornaments - Urban Barn
Light Pink and Dark Red ornaments - Pier 1
Heart Garland (on tree and mantle)- Target
Heart Wreath - Target
Gold “M” - Chapters/Indigo


Another great idea that Devon had was to create an ornament each year for each child with a tracing of their hand. I purchased (from Dollarama) glittery foam hearts, traced Gemma’s hand on the back of one, and let her go to town sticking more glittery hearts to the front. It fits perfectly with the jewel tones on the tree and makes a great sentimental piece!

I’d love to see pics of your Valentine’s decor! Tell me Devon and I are not alone in our Valentine’s day love!

To unashamedly having my tree up from November to February,
Dion

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...